Next week we are moving house.
This time, we are just moving a couple of kilometres down the road; last year we moved country. So this should be a piece of cake, right?
My house is awash with boxes as well as small people. Full boxes; empty boxes; children playing boats in boxes; piles of things to be thrown away; piles of things to be packed; piles of pieces of paper which must never be lost; next to piles of colouring and kiddie art from the kitchen walls.
I am sure if I was thinking straight, I could make a list of ’10 top tips for moving house with little kids’. You know: take the opportunity to sort out the kids’ clothes and toys, never try to pack your kitchen breakables while twin toddlers are marauding. But I am certain someone more organised than me has got this covered. I should have looked on Pinterest.
So, instead I have a different list ‘Moving house: 10 resolutions’. Because, of course, when I move house I will develop a whole new character and possess all good housekeeping habits. Right? Please say this is true.
In my new house I will:
1. Always clean the hob at the end of the day
2. Write thank you cards within a socially acceptable timescale
3. Always put away clean laundry
4. File every important piece of paper
5. Reply to emails, texts and whatsapp within a socially acceptable timescale
6. Bath my children more
7. Vacuum the carpet on the stairs
8. Get out of bed and ready for the day before the kids wake up
9. Drink more decaff
10. Be more zen
Maybe I should add 11. Be a different person 😉
When I was a kid myself I learnt this: As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. New house, same me, but same Lord. So that is a relief.
You might also like: