Ground beef recipes: I need ideas… Just before I head to bed at night, I sometimes remember to get some meat out of the freezer for the next day. And that is usually ground beef (where I come from, we call that ‘mince’).
Before Baby Bean was born 4 months ago, I was in quite a good groove of meal planning and shopping and being generally smug about it. That time has gone. So when I turn my mind to what our family will eat tomorrow, it usually means grabbing what is in the freezer, seeing what vegetables are in the fridge, and combining the two.
Ground Beef recipes… A bit of a grand title, but what I need is a list of meals using ground beef. They need to be family friendly, budget friendly, schedule friendly, and tasty. I’m gonna put in some links to recipes, but I have to be honest, I rarely follow recipes – I find them useful for the basic idea and then throw in what I already have. (Definitely room for improvement there, or maybe a What Mama Knows community project.)
- Tacos This is our family favourite at the moment. I usually leave out the spicy seasoning on the portions for kids, but your small people may love it. Mine love the Taco shells, or ‘cwips’ as they call them.
- Spaghetti Bolognese Usually I make this with carrots, onions and courgettes (do I mean zucchini?) and a jar of basic tomato pasta sauce.
- Burritos Ok, that sounds fancy but it is the same filling as my spaghetti bolognese (with a tin of beans) and wrapped in a tortilla with some grated cheese.
- Bolognese over baked potatoes or pasta You get the idea – the filling is getting a bit repetitive…
- Cottage pie with potato topping Ooh this makes me feel all positive about winter evenings and HP sauce.
- Cottage pie with sweet potato topping I love sweet potatoes but my kids do not – I do not understand why. Anyway, this topping seems to go under their sweet potato radar.
- Gravy and potatoes Now we really are going back to our childhood in cold parts of the UK.
- Lasagne One of our family favourites (who doesn’t like lasagne?) but I have been a bit time challenged since our fourth baby was born. But I want to get back to it soon. I generally make it in stages throughout the day (cook the ground beef in the morning; bechamel sauce after lunch; assemble and cook in the afternoon) so I need to be home and not be too frazzled.
- Enchiladas For me these are similar to lasagne – I make them in different stages throughout the day. Making me hungry just thinking about them.
- Homemade beef burgers I haven’t made these in a while, but they are so easy and tasty. I struggle to make them hold together as well as shop bought burgers, but I’ll do a bit more googling about it. At some point.
- Old style ‘mince pie’ This is what I mean: ground beef, onion, carrots, gravy, and covered in shortcrust pastry (‘half fat to flour; cold hands’ as my mum would say about making pastry). We always serve it with extra gravy as one of my sons is a bit addicted.
So what am I missing?? Is there more magic to be made from ground beef? Any ideas and favourite recipes welcome!